Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Protein bars

So remember how you should eat protein with everything? Well sometimes that's just hard. I know most people anymore are busy and eat on the go a lot. More than we should really. I love protein bars for a quick pick up me and to curb that hunger at 3pm. One thing I learned that I had no idea. Women should not be eating more than about 15g of protein in a serving. Some of those bars/shakes have TONS. Those are for men who are trying to bulk up. Most women would rather tone than bulk up. So if you keep it around 10-15 g you'll be great. Anything more... it will most likely give you some indigestion. Yeah I found that out the hard way by eating a bar with 20 g of protein. Oh man did that suck, especially cause it didn't kick in until I was the only person at work. It was a long few hours! Our bodies don't process protein the same as men, or as quickly, resulting in runs to the bathroom.  So just watch your protein content and calories! Some are over 500 calories. Those are the most important things when using protein bars as a snack. Surprisingly some of them are pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. I'm nearly vegan and fully vegetarian but I definitely feel better with protein at every meal. I start my day with a vegan protein green drink but I cut the serving in half so it's 11g of protein, 22 is WAY too much for one meal.
    I stay away from things like protein bars since I try to eat clean (mostly) so, if I need the protein pick-me-up I snack on almonds and I always add beans to my salads. :)

    ReplyDelete