Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, June 7, 2010

My weight does not define me!

I hate stereotypes. I really do. I was catching up on my DVR today and watching So You Think You Can Dance and a larger 18 yr old girl got up and danced beautifully. She was not your typical tiny dancer. Mia Micheals was moved to tears because she's also a larger woman who has struggled with weight. She said she got no jobs due to her weight. Are you kidding me?! Mia Micheals couldn't get a job cause she was fat. I hope one day there will be a change in our world, especially because sadly obesity is becoming the norm.

Is it healthy to be overweight? Definitely not. I wouldn't be trying to lose weight if it was. But that doesn't mean people don't try.  It's not easy to lose weight. It took 28 yrs to weigh 275 lbs. It's not going to come off tomorrow. I have had my ups and downs and lost weight, gained it back and then some, lost it again and gained it back and even more. I know that this will be something I have to do the rest of my life to not only LOSE the weight but to keep it off. I will always be working out and watching what I eat. Am I thrilled? No. I wish I could eat whatever I want, whenever I want and not gain a pound. Unfortunately, that's not my reality. But I hate that I (along with many others) are defined by what they look like. Oh she's the fat girl. I want to be Shannon, not the fat chick. And who's to say I can't be amazing? Fat does not make you a lesser person, less talented or less smart. I am no dancer. I love it but I am so not coordinated enough LOL But who's to say I couldn't try. That's all you have to do is try.

Speaking of trying. I just officially registered for my first 5k today. I'm running (or some form of it lol) with a friend from high school. We ironically met in gym class where we had a teacher that LOVED to make you run. We both hated it! Yet 15 yrs later we're doing a 5k. I'm scared, excited and determined to do it. I have 3ish weeks to get ready... I guess I better get my butt in gear LOL I know I won't be first, I don't expect to be, but I am going to try and I will finish it.

Anywho, I really hope that people can move forward some day (soon would be nice) and accept people for who they are and what the bring to the table and not what they look like.

6 comments:

  1. I hear you Shannon! I have had the same struggles and I know I will deal with them the rest of my life. How I wish I was just one of those people that was naturally thin and somehow magicallly stayed that way. I'm not though, this is my body and I have to learn to treat it better. I'm so inspired by you! I'm planning to try a 5k after I finish my month long boot camp. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really sad, but it is totally true! I feel the same way. I have always been overweight and always felt completely self conscious because people DO judge differently based on weight. I have the same hopes as you that people will accept me for me, and not judge me based on the way my body looks.
    Good luck with your 5K, Shannon. I've recently taken up running again. I used to run cross country in high school so I've done quite a few 5Ks in my life, but none to date in my adult life. I hope you do well and as long as you finish it will be a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids are the first generation to expect a shorter lifespan than their parents! Scary that it this becoming the norm, and our culture is still supporting this sense of thin-eliteness that only thin people are beautiful, good, or talented at...anything, whether its related to athleticism or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon! I love reading your blog! I am so proud of what you've accomplished and am so motivated by you! I've got about 40 lbs to lose to get to a comfortable weight for myself and it's only been since reading your blog that I've truly taken the steps towards doing that! My goal is also to run a 5K sometime this summer. I ran two miles last weekend and just about DIED, but I DID IT! Thanks for being such a great inspiration! If you're ever up this way give me a call, I'd love to see you again!!!!
    Jenn Cantwell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you. I am excited to do the 5K with you girls too! You are doing so great. I am so proud of you for not giving up. I wish that people would get over what the outside of people looks like and get to know the insides of people. You rock and I love you!

    ReplyDelete